Home | About | Contact | Events | Smithsonian | Conference | Media | Shop
Copyright 2012-2015 Wilderness50, hosting and website provided by the Wilderness Institute
Past Home Page Features List
- 49th Anniversary: Wilderness Act 50th Celebration Countdown Begins: Press release announcing the 49th anniversary of the Wilderness Act and the hundreds of activities planned as a lead-up to September 2014 Anniversary.
- 50th Anniversary of the Wilderness Act Magazine: Wilderness50 is partnering with Faircount Media Group to begin production of a 50th anniversary magazine for distribution at agency office and visitor centers, national celebratory events, and local community events.
- 50th State Planning Leaders: Alaska State 50th Planning Team leads with an exciting 2014 event lineup.
- Adirondack Art: The Adirondack Museum celebrates a rich history of wilderness by hosting two exhibits featuring artwork of New York state wilderness in the Adirondacks.
- Aldo & Leonardo Art/Science Residency Project: Scientists and artists collaborate to produce a body of work that creatively illustrates the value of wild areas and honors the scientific efforts to preserve wilderness.
- It's All About Alliances: National Wilderness Stewardship Alliance gathering in Colorado results in successful alliances for the 50th.
- Conversations With Conservationists - A Video Series: This ongoing video documentary series, being developed by the International League of Conservation Writers and Fulcrum Publishing, features activists who have been in the forefront of conservation and wilderness preservation.
- Wilderness at Bonnaroo?: Wilderness documentary films show at this year's Bonnaroo in Manchester, Tennessee.
- Bureau of Land Management Wilderness YouTube Videos: Check out these BLM wilderness videos.
- Wilderness Ranger Cookbook - It's really Cookin'!: In time for the 50th anniversary in 2014, this cookbook will be redone and expanded to include recipes from all four wilderness management agencies, making this truly an interagency publication representative of the entire wilderness system.
- Forest Service Dedicates Funds to Support 50th Community Education Events: The Forest Service committed approximately $365,000 of National Forest System fiscal year (FY) 13 carryover funds to the field to develop and implement activities and projects that celebrate not only the past 50 years of wilderness preservation but the next 50 years.
- Summer of Lee: The Bureau of Land Management's first wilderness celebrates its 30th anniversary.
- LNT Travelling Trainers: Get a Leave No Trace travelling trainer team to visit your 50th community event.
- Monte in Action: Internationally-acclaimed artist Monte Dolack is working on sketches for the 50th anniversary commemorative fine art poster that can be purchased in bundles of at least 25 as part of a special wholesale advance purchase option. Don't miss your chance to get in on this!
- New Year's Day 2014 Event Highlight: Interpretive hikes in New Mexico and Florida are the first 50th anniversary events to kick off 2014.
- National Park Service 50th Anniversary Wilderness Videos: Check out this series of wilderness youtube videos produced by the National Park Service and the Center for Environmental Filmmaking.
- PEAK: In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act, the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics aims to put PEAK Packs in over 200 elementary and middle schools across the United States in 2014.
- Puppet Show: Idaho Puppet Theater! has a new travelling children's show called Happy Birthday, Wilderness! featuring wildlife characters native to different parts of the United States who have received invitations to a birthday party for wilderness.
- Conducting a State-Wide Wilderness Photography Contest: A state-wide photography contest is an excellent way to engage the public in your state about the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act in 2014. This toolkit shows you how.
- Forest Service Submits Entry to 2014 Tournament of Roses Parade: The entry will include three mule strings with various packing loads suitable for wilderness travel, a wagon, and banners bearing the agency logo. To tie the entry to early mountain culture, packers will be in costume, including one packer dressed as a 1890 San Gabriel Timberland Reserve Ranger (manila ropes on packs, dress, hat and boots from era).
- Stick it to the 50th!: What we're really talking about here is a new 50th anniversary wilderness sticker that you can affix to your car window, laptop, water bottle, lunchbox, anything really.
- Showing a Wilderness Video or Film: A newly-released wilderness audio/video catalog helps you select a video or film by category, subject, year, audience, length etc.
- Wilderness Inspires Artists in Alaska: In 2010 the Forest Service started Voices of the Wilderness, a unique artist-in-residence program focusing on wilderness stewardship and pairing artists with Alaska wilderness rangers.
- Tern Attack!: Aldo & Leonardo artists in residence in the Monomoy Wilderness engage in bird research.
- Vigorous Planning Begins in Vermont: On April 21, the Wilderness50 Local Events Committee sponsored the first multi-state meeting for planning 50th anniversary local events.
- Walking the Walk: A comprehensive planning guide and video show you how to plan a "Walk for Wilderness" in your community.