Home | About | Contact | Events | Smithsonian | Conference | Media | Shop
Copyright 2012-2015 Wilderness50, hosting and website provided by the Wilderness Institute
National Wilderness Conference Presenters
At the National Wilderness Conference, more than 20 dynamic, diverse keynote speakers and panelists joined outdoor business leaders, renowned wilderness researchers, environmental historians, educators, and land managers to discuss current topics in wilderness stewardship. Eighty-four workshops, including more than 200 speakers, focused on civic engagement, stewardship, history, science, education and experience and include the debut of plans for the future of the wilderness system.
Keynote Presenters and PanelistsWhile only the plenary presentations were recorded, transcripts of plenary presentations as well as abstracts for all track session presentations are available in the conference proceedings. Note: Click on the icons below to launch each plenary session recording. Recordings are large files and can take a while to begin playing.
- Opening Ceremony, Wednesday, October 15, 6-8pm : Aldo Leopold meets today's students (reinactment); Musician Bart Koehler; Eagle Dancers performance; Youth Leader Scholarship Winners introduced; Former President Jimmy Carter (video welcome); Howard Zahniser colleague Stewart Brandborg (video address); New Mexico Senator Martin Heinrich
- Thursday, October 16, 8-9:30am : Vet Voice Foundation representative Jesse DesRosier; Bureau of Land Management represent to the Arthur Carhart National Wilderness Training Center Chris Barns (watch on YouTube); Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
- Thursday, October 16, 10:15-11:30am : U.S. Department of the Interior Secretary Sally Jewell; Gwich'in Nation Representative Sarah James; David Brower's son Ken Brower
- Thursday Lunch Panel, 11:30am-1pm : Conservation Alliance Executive Director John Sterling; Keen Footwear Corporate Social Responsibility Manager Chris Enlow; Headwaters Economics representative Ben Alexander
- Thursday, October 16, 8:15-9:30pm : Las Cruces, New Mexico, City Councilman Nathan Small; Native American educator Dr. Greg Cajete; Author Terry Tempest Williams
- Friday Lunch Panel : Bureau of Land Management Director Neil Kornze; Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe; Forest Service Chief Thomas Tidwell; National Park Service Associate Director Cam Sholly
- Friday, October 17, 3:45-5pm : Mora County, New Mexico, Commissioner John Olivas; The Wilderness Society President Jamie Williams; Sierra Club Elected President Dave Scott; New Mexico Senator Tom Udall
- Saturday, October 18, 10:15-11:30am : Historian Doug Scott; CBS News history commentator Douglas Brinkley; NASA astronaut Joseph Acaba
- Saturday 'Get Wild' Festival, 3:05-3:45pm: U.S. Department of Agriculture Under Secretary Arthur "Butch" Blazer ; National Geographic Explorer and director of the Natural Leaders Network Juan Martinez ; Outdoor Afro founder Rue Mapp
- Sunday, October 19, 10:30am-noon : Wilderness Fellows, Monica Patel and Christina Mills; Conservation photographer Robert Glenn Ketchum; Longtime wilderness advocate Dave Foreman